rachel, unravelling

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

she's got issues

I cannot be around disparaging people right now. My self-consciousness is at an almost all-time high, my self-esteem an all-time low. OK, maybe it's not that bad, but I just feel vulnerable.

The weather held up today. I cannot stop listening to Mr Brightside by The Killers. This morning I couldn't wait to matriculate, just to get it outta my hair. Well, had a crappy timetable, one of the perils that comes with being a freshie, I suppose. Monday's pretty much a full load, Wednesday's a plain bitch. Class from 8.30am-10am, and then a lecture at 4.30pm! Oh this is just peachy. Everyone should stop giving me a queer look already when I say I'm not psyched about school. I wish the hols would stretch on a bit more.

This afternoon was spent "trekking" with Melanie. From Orchard to Bugis and then to the Esplanade, that is. Imagine me when I found out we were not travelling by MRT. Time passed fast cuz we talked all the way. Sat down for some of the popular goreng pisang upon arriving at Bugis, which I haven't been to for ages, that place is perpetually crowded. Then on the way to the Esplanade we walked through the new National Library. Huuuge building but doesn't look like it's filled with books. More of glass windows, big spaces and architectural ideas. Um. I'm not good with describing. It opens this Friday, finally. Stopped by Ah Teng's Bakery at the Raffles Hotel, and amidst oohing and aahing at the pretty cakes and pastries, and dithering over whether to have hi-tea or da pao, I realised that it wouldn't be the same again after selling the hotel to foreigners, no matter what they promised. The Esplanade, or rather the Esplanade Park, was fun. The photo-taking [must have the boat in the background ah!] and the unmentionable activity aside, I love that place. As Mel pointed out, it's not just the romantic aspect [that apparently I keep on harping on!], it's a place to go if you want some quiet + inspiration. And sitting there listening to the lapping of the waves and looking into the distance is very therapeutic indeed. Unfortunately a wave of tourists has descended unto the once quiet stretch, it being the summer months, so it's a bit noisier. I especially like it at night, with the night breeze and the bright lights and the general atmosphere. Plus it holds lotsa special memories for me.

Hmph it's midweek already I am getting stressed and cranky. It's the thought of having to start anew. Lately there've been so many new beginnings I'm tired of them all, thank goodness for constants, support groups and such, that I can take comfort and find strength in.

rachel at 11:04 PM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment