rachel, unravelling

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Holidays? Natch!

I'm wondering what is it like to live in fear each day not knowing when something terrible is going to happen, but knowing that it will happen for sure and that there's nothing you can do to stop it except dread it. And that is enough to take away meaning and happiness from life.

I had a scare today, where I couldn't find my wallet. If I really did lose it, it'd be a hassle replacing stuff, I'd get hell from the parentals, and I'd feel pained. Firstly it's a birthday gift that I picked out, next cuz of all my cards-apart from i/c and ez-link there's privilege cards for shopping and my can't-live-without atm. After emptying out two bags, a shopping bag and three drawers, I opened my wardrobe and there it was. :/ Come to think of it, I haven't lost my wallet before, and don't ever intend to. I don't generally lose stuff, or if I forget something I usually know where to find it. Horrible consequences to deal with, considering how there's so much personal stuff in a wallet. There is www.codetag.com where they use RFID technology to locate lost stuff, and my brother's project work coincidentally focuses on RFID, so I hope somebody makes headway in this cuz it'd help us greatly in keeping track of our valuables should we misplace them. I don't know about losing it to theft cuz it'd be even harder to track.

Half the hols are already gone and I haven't really accomplished much. Well the term paper is slowly rolling, no, lumbering along. The tutorial presentation is going smoothly, and the partner treated me to dessert at Out of the Pan after our meeting. Banana and sticky date pudding with pecan ice-cream and drizzled with butterscotch sauce, absolutely divine! I did get to meet Ruth for lunch before she flies off, and it was like old times again. In the midst of getting to know new people sometimes I find myself longing for friends where I can feel at ease and being able to talk about anything on my mind without the fear of being judged.

Yesterday was half-priced waffles and ice-cream at Gelare and getting to know the subcomm people thereafter. Today was more good food, cuz Fly and I hit Pizza da Donato's along Bukit Timah for Italian. I must rave about this cuz it was one of those gastronomic experiences. The carrot soup was creamy and full of flavour, the vongole had sooo many clams I couldn't finish the pasta and the pizza had a nice crisp thin crust with shavings of Parma ham. Parma ham costs $80 a kg, would you believe it! So when you go to an Italian restaurant, you only get thin shavings of it. I think tomorrow, I might venture across the island for French food.

I'm slowly easing back into eating Japanese food again. I got too sick of it after eating too much of it so I sweared off it, but right now I'm only staying away from what I usually eat, especially the don and sushi. My mom made a mean soba for dinner today, and for dessert I had snowskin mooncake. Mm!

Somehow, I ended up talking lots about food in this entry. :/ Moving on! My 2 new pairs of earrings arrived yesterday and they're really delightful to look at, and I've ordered another 2 necklaces on the way. This is very sinful and indulgent of me but I can't help myself everytime I see something pretty and it's love at first sight. C: A simple mantra of I see, I like, I acquire? Probably. [ And within my means la, I don't advocate breaking the bank ]

rachel at 12:41 AM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment