rachel, unravelling

Sunday, December 04, 2005

hoarse notes

"How beautiful a street is in winter! It is at once revealed and obscured. Here vaguely one can trace symmetrical straight avenues of doors and windows; here under the lamps are floating islands of pale light through which pass quickly bright men and women, who, for all their poverty and shabbiness, wear a certain look of unreality, an air of triumph, as if they had given life the slip, so that life, deceived of her prey, blunders on without them."

"Am I here, or am I there? Or is true self neither this nor that, neither here nor there, but something so varied and wandering that it is only when we give the rein to its wishes and let it ake its way unimpeded that we are indeed ourselves?"- Virginia Woolf, "Street Haunting"

Slowly but surely I am getting better.

It's terribly boring being cooped up at home and not having the energy or mood to do anything, and various forms of entertainment soon lose their appeal. With oil and most good food outlawed from my diet, I was feeling miserable. On Saturday, though, thank goodness my parents decided to make cream of mushroom soup for dinner and pair it with Cedele's fresh and chewy sourdough bread. With cheese, ham and lettuce on the side, I was pretty happy. I am craving for lotsa food by now and mom's bought macademia and cashew nuts so we can start making cookies soon as my tonsillitis goes away.

December's my favourite month of the year, but I'm not into that festive mood yet. Thanks to church and my mom, preparations have already been made. I've bought all my Christmas cards from church to send out to everyone near and dear, and today we drove out to stock up on wrapping paper and buy new decorations for the tree and the house. I'm determined to get everything up and out early this year. And picking out the best gifts for the important people in my life is always a joy though it can be a bit of a challenge with certain ones. ;) I can't wait to get back on my feet.

Lately I've been so weary about some things, but oddly enough, it's been comforting to just be around my parents this weekend, even though we don't really operate on the same freqency and my mom and I don't see eye to eye most of the time.

rachel at 10:04 PM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment